Fema wants money back!

Go down

Fema wants money back!

Post  Rosebud1 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:48 am

My son called last night. After hurricane Rita, his apartment complex was damaged and he had to find someplace else to stay while repairs were made. He got money from FEMA (like most people did) to help with expenses. Well, now FEMA notified him that they want their miney back! He cantacted a lawyer about it. The lawyer asked him if he had any proof that he was displaced after Rita. Well, of course, he didn't keep any records after all this time has gone by. So now he has no choice but to pay back the money! Has anybody else had this happen to them? If you got money from FEMA, watch out! I think after all this time, this is bull shit! Mad

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fema wants money back!

Post  jaytee on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I have read that FEMA was going to try and get some of their money back but I haven't heard of it actually happening to anyone.

I would say maybe going to the apartment complex and ask them for a letter or other record that shows they were damaged and people relocated. Then present that to FEMA and see what they say.
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosebud1 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 pm

My son contacted the apartment manager. They told him that they don't keep records that far back. I think that is what FEMA is counting on. Nobody keeps their records for that long.

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltexan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm

I know after the storm "Allison" flooded Houston my mother received FEMA funds - - -
she was very careful to document everything she got and everything she spent the funds on -
because she said 'they' could ask for verification of how the money was spent - and could
demand the money be repaid if you couldn't substantiate the way the funds were used.

I would supposed the records are like IRS stuff - I always heard keep records for 10 years -
while some say 7 years.
Unfortunately with FEMA I would want to be sure I could show proof - but, things were so
unstable after the hurricane that doing so might be difficult.
We were under enough stress without having to see into the future for these records!

stilltexan
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CruiseJunkie on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:56 am

I would tell FEMA to wait and contact his Lawyer. This smells "Fishy" to me. I would fight it.
CruiseJunkie
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosebud1 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 am

Under normal circumstances he would probably tell them just that, but he works at the hospital on a military base. FEMA can have him banned from the base. He is a paramedic. They can even take the money out of his income tax refund without his permission. I think the whole thing stinks!

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaytee on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Rosebud1 wrote:Under normal circumstances he would probably tell them just that, but he works at the hospital on a military base. FEMA can have him banned from the base. He is a paramedic. They can even take the money out of his income tax refund without his permission. I think the whole thing stinks!

Smells fishy to me too. And I bet a dollar to a donut that the apartment complex has records. They are just to lazy or just don't want to be bothered with it. They keep those records because of taxes and I wouldn't be surprised if they got money from FEMA. I looks to me like FEMA is just as rotten as the insurance companies.
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  orley29 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Did he ask them what TYPE of information that he needed to show that he had been displaced? I mean, he doesnt have ANYTHING showing where he stayed during the time he was homeless? A change of address through the post office maybe? If he is military, he needs to inform his commanding officer of what is happening. THen go to the JAG office to explain the situation and ask for advice. Im not so sure its THAT easy to have him banned from a base where he is employed. Im pretty sure FEMA (if that is actually who it is) is using scare tactics. This doesnt make complete sense to me. FEMA would have to go through a chain of command to have him banned and I have NEVER heard of someone being banned from a military base because of a issue in an emergency situation that is out of his control. My husband retired after over 20 years in the military and I have never heard of anyone being banned, period. Court martial, yes. Banned, no. My husand was on duty during Katrina, Rita, and Ike as well as others that hit other coastlines other than our own. I would really really investigate this before he sends them a dime. Keep us posted and good luck to him...

orley29
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  supermom on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

We were instructed to keep receipts to show how the money was spent. Also upon closing on my SBA loan the loan itself was reduced by the amount of money that I received from FEMA so I guess in a way I had to pay the money back. I also think this is something that they started doing because of all the fraud that came out after Katrina and Rita. The apartment complex would have documentation showing that it was damaged. ie Insurance claims etc. They need to step up to the plate.

supermom
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down