Scams and internet fraud

Go down

Scams and internet fraud

Post  stilltexan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Well ~ I have seen a new internet/email scam this week.

On Tuesday I received an email from an email address of a friend who I have known for 30 years.
The message stated that the friend was in Madrid, Spain for a conference -
that her passport, bags and personal effects had been stolen. The message asked for 'assistance'.
I panicked - thinking that this story was 'for real'.

Of course, I was thinking that she needed to contact the American Embassy and needed their number and address.
I was thinking the friend needed the assistance that travel insurance can provide.
Later I learned that this was a fraud.

That evening I received another message - this time the message appeared to be from my cousin
who lives in the Dallas area. Nearly the same message - but this time money was needed.

Has someone 'scammed' my addressbook or have they gotten into the address book of the friend

and relative?

What needs to be done to stop this?

stilltexan
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scams and internet fraud

Post  jaytee on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 am

http://www.dataprotectioncenter.com/antivirus/avast/phishing-email-the-friend-needing-help/

This link talks about those emails.

Best advice: Don't reply to anyone asking for money or anyone you don't know. Never give out credit card info or personal info. I think the FBI has a web site you could report this to but I doubt they can do much. I've recieved email from places like Bank of America or Mobil Credit Union telling me that I must update my information including my account numbers to remain active. The mails looked real with logos and everything. Easy for me to spot as a hoax because I don't do business with those banks. I think they call this phishing. There may be some programs you can download to slow it down but I just ignore them and delete them.
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosebud1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:54 pm

They get their information from web sites that you "share" your information with. Be careful to read the privacy clauses anywhere you go.

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down