BeaumontsBeat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hummingbird Feeders

4 posters

Go down

Hummingbird Feeders Empty Hummingbird Feeders

Post  jaytee Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Well the hummers were late this year but I've got three. I kept wondering why the feeders were going down so fast with just three birds. So my wife came in the other day and said the sparrows were drinking out of the feeders. Of course I didn't believe it until today when I saw sparrows drinking out of the hummingbird feeders with others on the telephone line waiting for their turn. Have any of you ever seen that before? It's a first for me.
jaytee
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

Back to top Go down

Hummingbird Feeders Empty Re: Hummingbird Feeders

Post  Rosebud1 Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:37 pm

It's possible they were just wanting water of any kind. Do you have a bird bath or anything where they can get water? I have about 4 or 5 hummers. They are fighting over my 3 feeders. I've never had a sparrow drink from them though. I did have a lizard that did once. That was really strange!

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubbles Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Nope never had sparrows drink from them. We have more this year than we have had since Hurricane Rita. We had so many we were filling up 3 feeders 4x day then.
We have more this year than we have had in the last 2 years. We have 3 feeders and there are at least 15 or more here this year. Filling up feeders 2x a day now. I love to watch them. They are some mean little creatures. Fight like cats and dogs.
Bubbles
Bubbles
Amigo
Amigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 am

We bought an Audobon Society bird ID book when we started seeing different birds in the yard. We had orchard Orioles feeding from the hummingbird feeder regularly.
Admin
Admin
Compadre
Compadre

https://beaumontsbeat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jaytee Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

I've got a birdbath in the yard and keep it fresh. I've had the feeders out for years andd never seen other birds fool with them. Maybe they just have a sweet tooth.
jaytee
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubbles Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:58 am

I am being invaded now. We have 4 feeders up now and I am filling them up 4x a day. They are swarming like bees. You can hear them before you open the door. I know each feeder has at least 10 to 15 birds at each one. I love to watch them, there are so many of them there are many, many fights.
Bubbles
Bubbles
Amigo
Amigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosebud1 Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 am

For a few days, I had a hummer like I've never seen before. He had a red throat, but his back was a shiney copper color. He was only here for those few days and then he left. I've looked up the various kinds of hummingbirds, but never could find one like it. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it. It was so unusual. Has anybody seen one like that?

Rosebud1
Amigo
Amigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubbles Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am

No we have the usual red throat ones and the green ones and the gray ones. But we do have a couple that are so light gray they are almost white. I am guessing that they are in a feeding frenzy right now and will be leaving in a little while.
Bubbles
Bubbles
Amigo
Amigo

Back to top Go down

Post  jaytee Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:21 am

I've never had more than five birds at a time. I would love to have more. I like watching the Hummers, one of God's amazing creations.
jaytee
jaytee
Compadre
Compadre

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down